Be involved in projects with our Construction Services Team and be a part of a growing organization that meets our client’s objectives and solves their challenges.
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring the right people to be part of our future-focused business objectives. Our devotion to teamwork has allowed us to build communities and expand our skylines. Here at WSP, anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
WSP has an immediate opening for a Safety Engineer, to join our management team helping oversee the $1 billion MBTA GLX Project in Somerville, MA, a large, complex, high profile rail/transit design/build (DB) effort. WSP is a major partner of the Program & Construction Management (PM/CM) team overseeing the project. The successful candidate will posess strong health, safety and environment support service skills, helping to develop a strong safety and reporting culture, while ensuring regulatory compliance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct daily documented inspections of facilities, job sites, machinery, and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance.
- Review Design-Builder’s construction work plans Job Hazard Analysis for suitability and conformance to project safety expectations. Review and investigate reports on dangerous working conditions.
- Conduct and/or coordinate training programs and develop safety procedures. Promote health and safety education, awareness and engagement through scheduled meetings.
- Verify personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements and monitor for proper fit and use. Maintain PPE inventory and assign to GLX Management Team.
- Prepare specilized accident/incident reports and corrective action plans as required by the MBTA Safety Plan and in accordance with the State Safety Oversight Program as required by regulations, rules and procedures.
- Maintain open lines of communication with GLX Program Safety Manager and the Program Construction Teamon project status, and prepare reports as necessary.
- Assist as requested with the maintenance of project safety documentation through eBuilder.
- Provide project leadership and develop working relationships with project staff, and the various safety representatives.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant safety oversight experience, or a combination of education and multiple years experience.
- Professional safety certification in one or more of the following (CIH, CSP, ASP, CHST, STS or equivalent).
- Working knowledge of HSE principles and techniques to include OSHA, and other federal, state, and local standards.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- OSHA Certifications.
- Hands-on familiarity with energy codes, mechanical codes and ADA requirements as it applies to occupied public spaces.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Construction Management, Engineering or Architecturs.
- Proficiency with MS WORD Suite
- CPR, First Aid Certifications
- e-Builder experience
NNE Area Manager